Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant - next steps
With over 12,000 signatures garnered on hard copy petitions in less than a month - the WEG Petition initiative shows that overwhelming support for keeping the grant exists in this province. AECEO members, Decent Work Teams, and supporters across Ontario worked hard to gather signatures and spread the word. Thank you!
The petition, urging legislators to “maintain the $2 per hour Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant for Registered Early Childhood Educators and child care workers in licensed child care” has been presented to the Minister of Education in the Ontario Legislature.
What else can we do?
To reinforce and further support the petition message we must keep the campaign going right up to budget time and beyond!
- Sending an email or a quick phone message are important and easy ways to communicate with your elected representative. This lets them know that you, their constituent, care about this issue. It doesn't have to be long - just one sentence saying, as your representative you want them to support the wage grant, is enough to let them know where you stand and make an impact. If you want to include your personal story or more detail, such as linking to this article, that's good as well. And remember to cc firstname.lastname@example.org, or let us know it was sent so we can follow up with the MPP. For those who do not currently receive the grant, your support is also needed – its continuance is very important to so many RECEs and also to preserving the concept of government support for wages, which is crucial to our larger goal: the implementation of a funded wage grid across Ontario. Click here to find your provincial riding and your MPP's contact information.
If you would like a template you can use in creating your email - the OCBCC has created one: http://www.childcareontario.org/petition_email_template
Imagine the power emails from 55,000 RECEs would have! #ECEPower #DecentWork #ProfessionalPay
Meeting in person with your MPP is a another great way to highlight the need for the WEG to continue. We’ll provide:
- A copy of our MPP Meeting Toolkit to help you prepare for the meeting.
- We’ll try to match you up with other members and supporters in your area to make a strong team.
- Want more support? We’ll provide one-on-one coaching so that you feel 100% ready for your meeting.
Email email@example.com if you’d like to be involved. Tell us your name and your riding, MPP’s name or postal code and we’ll get you started.
- You can also sign an online petition as one more way to show support. This is separate from the paper petition so you can sign this one even if you already signed on paper! Online Petition
Humans of ECE...share your story on why its important to maintain the provincial wage grant
We are launching Humans of ECE..share your story on the provincial wage enhancement grant. Continuing from our Humans of ECEPower campaign we want to hear from you why the provincial wage enhancement grant is important to you.
We are doing this campaign alongside the petition. Make sure you print, sign and mail us original copies of the petition. If you are intererested in collecting signatures in your community to present directly to your local MPP, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant Petition
We have partnered with the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care to launch a petition to continue the Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant to Registered Early Childhood Educators and early years staff in licensed child care. This funding provides $2 per hour in wage support to many educators and it is critical that it continues. Funding has not yet been confirmed beyond March 31, 2019. The future of the grant is in the hands of the provincial government and will be decided by the Ontario Budget this spring.
Print sign and share the petition today to tell the Ontario Government to maintain the $2 per hour wage enhancement.
- Petition in English or French to print and sign. Please mail completed petitions to OCBCC/AECEO offices by February 14, 2019.
- Frequently Asked Questions - this will be helpful to post near the petition.
If you are interested in collecting signatures in your community to present directly to your local MPP, please write to email@example.com to become a local petition leader.
Please note: This is an official paper petition to the Ontario legislature. Only paper originals (not copies, emails, or faxes) are accepted. Signers must include their full address, including postal code, for the petition to be accepted by the legislature.
#ECEPower #DecentWork #ProfessionalPay Your voice matters!
Speaking our truth on Parliament Hill
On November 20, 2018 federal politicians heard firsthand about Canada's child care crisis and benefits of a universal system.
Nearly 100 child care advocates - parents, grandparents, educators, activists - were part of the largest lobbying effort on Parliament Hill for child care in over a decade. Organized by Child Care Now, the AECEO took part in over 60 meetings with MPs and Senators and shared personal stories, research and policy recommendations to create a universal child care system. Using the theme #ChildCareChampion we asked politicians to commit to moving the issue forward in their roles in government, within their parties, on committees and in the Senate.
Want to get involved?
Your voice matters! Together we can make a difference!
Humans of ECE...Share your short story
This action is designed to raise the profile of ECEs and early years staff, while also highlighting some of the challenges you face in the early years.
Think about what makes you special as an ECE or early years staff and what challenges you may face related to this. Download the template here, write your short story and take a picture of you holding it and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To see more Humans of ECE stories...click here.
To find out more about the Professional Pay and Decent Work Campaign click here
Visit the AECEO Store - buy your ECE Power