College of ECE

The Early Childhood Educators Act, 2007, established the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario (CECE), the regulatory college for Early Childhood Educators (ECEs). Registration with the college is mandatory if you wish to work in a position labeled early childhood educator and/or call yourself an early childhood educator. The CECE website outlines that the Act includes:

  • A definition of what constitutes the practice of the profession;
  • A requirement for persons to be members [of the college] in order to practise the profession;
  • Title protection authorizing only members of the College to use the titles "early childhood educator" or "registered early childhood educator" or an abbreviation;

The primary role of the college, as defined in the Act, is to protect the public and hold the profession and those using the professional title of ‘Early Childhood Educator’ accountable. As outlined on the college website, “the College is not an educational institution or a professional association that advocates for early childhood educators. It is an organization that helps to serve and protect children and families by setting registration requirements and ethical and professional standards for registered early childhood educators (RECEs), and governing member conduct through a complaints and discipline process”.

In contrast to the College of ECEs, the Association of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario (AECEO) is the professional association for early childhood educators and has a mandate to advocate on behalf of the profession and support their work by responding to current issues on their behalf, providing ongoing resources and information about the ECEC field, and providing opportunities for professional development and collaboration.

For more information about the relationship between an association (the AECEO) and a regulatory body (College of ECEs) click here 

Visit the cece website for more information on the Continuous Professional Learning (CPL) program


Showing 2 reactions

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
  • Lena DaCosta
    commented 2017-08-02 13:35:16 -0400
    Hi Sharon, In order to assess your qualifications here in Ontario, you must contact the College of ECE directly. they can be reached here
  • Sharon Allman
    commented 2017-08-02 13:30:09 -0400
    Good afternoon, I’m in the process of relocating to Canada from Barbados. I have a Caribbean Examination Certificate in 6 subject areas comprising of Mathematics, English Language, French, Art, Geography and Spanish – all General Proficiency Grade 2; Certificate from the University of Cambridge, Advanced Level Grade D with Distinction in Orals; Certificate from The University of The West Indies School of Continuing Studies in Basic Child Care; Certificate from Erdiston Teachers’ Training College in Classroom Management and Certificate from Erdiston Teachers’ Training College in Teachers’ Introductory Primary School Programme.

    I’m inquiring whether these certificates are accepted here so that I can teach in Day Care and/or Elementary School.

    I’d appreciate your response as soon as possible, thank you and have a great day.