September 30th is Orange Shirt Day and the National Day for Truth & Reconciliation. As a community, this is a time for us to learn, unlearn, and critically examine our own practice as we work towards meaningful action on Truth and Reconciliation. The AECEO team understands that discussing colonization and its ongoing harms can be uncomfortable and even scary, especially when talking to young children. It is critical that we listen to the experiences of Survivors and (un)learn the histories of our country and education system in order to disrupt the consequences of ongoing colonialism and systemic injustice in our own pedagogical work.
Please be advised that the links below touch on topics such as child abuse, family separation, intergenerational trauma and genocide.
- Phyllis Webstad - On Orange Shirt Day [7:07]
- Residential Schools in Canada: A Timeline [5:39]
- Spirit Bear and Children Make History [26:28] (English CC) (French CC)
- Canada's Residential Schools (Google Earth)
- The Witness Blanket
- This 10 month calendar - following the school year - was created by Kelli Edson Wiebe and Angela Fey to support educators. It highlights Indigenous celebrations and commemorations, and shares the 6 seasons of the Cree & the Anishinaabe moons, free to download and integrate into your program (shared with permission)
- An Overview of the Indian Residential School System
- What Are the Truth & Reconciliation Commission’s 94 Calls to Action & How Are We Working Toward Achieving Them Today?
- AECEO Guiding Committee on Truth and Reconciliation - eceLINK articles
- Unreserved with Rosanna Deerchild - Making the most of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation [46:19] (2022)
- Telling Our Twisted Histories [11 episodes] (2022)
- The Henceforward, episode 2 - Reconciliation? [41:07] (2016)
Book Recommendations for Adults:
- Seven Fallen Feathers - Racism, Death, and Hard Truths in a Northern City, by Tanya Talaga
- Indigenous Writes - A Guide to First Nations, Métis, & Inuit Issues in Canada, by Chelsea Vowel
- This Place - 150 Years Retold (graphic novel), by Kateri Akiwenzie-Damm, Sonny Assu, Brandon Mitchell, et al. Also available in podcast format
Book Recommendations for Children:
- Phyllis’s Orange Shirt, by Phyllis Webstad
- When We Were Alone, by David A. Robertson & Julie Flett
- Shi-shi-etko and Shin-chi's Canoe, both by Nicola I. Campbell & Kim La Fave
- Kookum's Red Shoes, by Peter Eyvindson
- Arctic Stories, by Michael Kusugak