The Child Care Matters to Everyone event series is presented by the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care and the Association of Early Childhood Educators Ontario with the support of the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
Child care really does matter to everyone and this event invites educators, service providers, parents, students, policy makers and concerned citizens to come together and discuss its importance from a variety of perspectives. The event will draw on the strengths of the community to build relationships and identify how we can work together to create the change we need for child care.
These events will be unique to each community in format and content. Local leaders and advocates will help shape the discussion and workshops will focus on navigating current developments, getting involved, and specific areas of practice that have been identified by community members.
Through these events we hope to:
- Bring together a diverse group from sectors including child care, family resource, education sector, and community groups
- Bring together parents, early childhood educators, local decision makers, child care programs, community college programs, and local municipal child care staff.
- Build leadership skills and actively involve ECEs and child care staff as leaders in their field and in the community.
- Develop local strategies to increase awareness of the benefits of licensed child care and the role played by early childhood educators.
Confirmed Speakers & Presenters:
Andrea Welz, Faculty, Sault College
Lyndsay Macdonald, National Coordinator, Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada
Carolyn Ferns, Coordinator, Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care
Viktoria Bitto, RECE, Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care
Shani Halfon, RECE, Interim Coordinator, Association of Early Childhood Educators Ontario
Friday October 23, 2015 – 6:30pm – 9:00pm
Come on out for coffee, cake and a chat with the local child care community. Get to know new leaders from the Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care, the Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada and the Association of Early Childhood Educators.
Saturday October 24th, 2015 – 10:00am – 3:00pm
9:45am – 10:00am – Registration (Native Education Centre)
10:00am – 10:20 Welcome and Introduction
10:20am - 11:20am - Workshops (session 1)
11:20am - 12:20pm - Workshops (session 2)
AM - Workshops
- Raising our voices together: Answering tough questions about child care - Carolyn Ferns
- Advocacy through art: Portraits of Child Care and beyond - Viktoria Bitto
12:20pm – 1:00pm – Lunch (Native Education Centre)
1:00pm - 3:00pm - Outdoor/Nature Based Programming (Native Education Centre)
- Table Talk-Experiencing Winter Outdoors
- Let’s Chat - Successes and Challenges since our June Outdoor/Nature Based presentation
Facilitated by: Andrea Welz
Refreshments and a boxed lunch will be served
If you would like to register by fax or email, download the Registration Form
Free to attend but RSVP is required - Please indicate which day(s) you wish to attend below under the heading “choose shifts”.
If you wish to attend both Friday and Saturday, please choose both shifts. Thank you!
This event is in collaboration with Sault College