Reporting to the Program Manager of Directly Operated programs, this position is responsible for the smooth day to day operation of the child care centre; providing leadership and direction; ensuring all legislative/organizational requirements are met; meeting the needs of the children, clients and staff while providing a safe/healthy environment; continuously monitoring the program to ensure it offers optimum developmental opportunities for all children and staff.
The incumbent will:
- Supervise, manage, coach, discipline all centre staff and conduct annual Feedback and Development activities
- Conduct recruitment and selection activities for the Directly Operated Child Care Centres
- Oversee non-staff participants, including unionized and non-unionized staff, staff from other agencies, students and volunteers who may be working or attending at the centre
- Promote a quality child care early learning program by approving weekly program plans and ensuring ongoing program evaluations, and children's individual progress reports are completed
- Manage and monitor facility management issues including the physical plant (indoors and outdoors) to ensure a safe and hazard free environment for staff, children and visitors
- Review and monitor the child care centre budget, identify minor capital items for future budgets; purchasing and order supplies and materials within identified budgets; monitor and manage the collection of child care fee payments from parents; issue receipts; prepare bank deposits and maintain accurate record keeping
- Maintain accurate confidential records regarding children and staff, according to approved organizational policies and applicable Legislation
- Prepare an annual work plan for the Centre and participate in the preparation and implementation of the Directly Operated work plan, including annual evaluation
- Actively participate and contribute to the Children's Services Division Leadership Network to develop and implement the Divisional Strategic Plan in alignment with Departmental and Corporate Strategic plans
The successful applicant will possess:
- A degree or diploma in Early Childhood Education
- A current certificate of registration with the College of Early Childhood Educators as well as a current CPR/First Aid Certification (both to be maintained annually) along with a demonstrated commitment to continuous learning
- Extensive working knowledge of the Children's Services Division; the Early Childhood Educators Act; Day Nurseries Act or any successor legislation; Education Act; Child and Family Services Act; WHMIS; Health Protection and Promotion Act; MFIPPA and other applicable legislation as required as well as Regional policies and procedures
- Several years progressive experience working in a variety of child care settings including the supervision of staff and non-staff participants demonstrating management, coaching and leadership skills
- Proficiency in computer applications including but not limited to MS Office (Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); MS Outlook; FIMS; HCM and Internet navigation
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, problem solving and conflict resolution skills, as well as effective time management, organizational and record keeping skills; written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, direct and implement an enriched early learning program using current teaching concepts to ensure children's optimal development
- Strong multi-tasking skills in a dynamic, high pressure work environment
- The ability to implement policies and work independently and collaboratively with staff and parents to promote a positive early learning environment and the centre/Region in a positive way in the community
Preference will be given to applicants who have experience with a variety of age groups (toddlers, preschoolers, school age).
Mgmt & Exempt Salary
Salary: $73,843 to $92,304 per annum
How to Apply - General
Come find a home where exciting and rewarding careers are balanced with your lifestyle. We thank all applicants; however, only those being considered will be contacted. Please apply online (www.durham.ca) no later than midnight on the closing date indicated on the Job Posting.
Note: If you require accommodation at any time throughout the application process, or if this information is required in an accessible format, please contact us at: RecruitingHelp@durham.ca and a Consultant will provide appropriate assistance pursuant to the Region's Accommodation and Accessibility policies. Please note that resumes should not be sent to RecruitingHelp@durham.ca.