East Toronto Village Children’s Centre
This is an opportunity for someone who is motivated by purpose. At East Toronto Village Children’s Centre (ETVCC), we need a new Director with a passion for early childhood education to lead us on our mission to provide quality, innovative, play-based learning to children ages 2-12.
As a licensed non-profit, charitable organization, we need a Director who truly cares about children, their families and the people who work hard every day to care for them. We need a Director who wants to provide leadership in operations, administration, governance and strategy. Someone who can successfully collaborate with our Board of Directors, RECE teachers, parent advocacy program and families. A Director who will contribute to the short and long term planning of our Centre and ensure we can continue to provide the services children in our community need in their early years.
What’s in it for you?
Purpose. If delivering quality education and loving care to children is your calling, you will find personal and professional satisfaction here. This is an opportunity to direct and manage a centre that occupies a strong place in the local community, where families and neighbours are involved.
Unparalleled dedication and support. You will have a chance to work with highly skilled and experienced staff. From our teachers of over 10 years to our newest assistants of 3 years to our professional chef of almost 20; the team at ETVCC is committed to creating a place where children are provided a stimulating environment to safely and securely develop physically, emotionally and mentally.
A step up. This is a chance for an Assistant Director in early childhood education to step up to a Director role. An opportunity to take that next step in your career and apply all of your hands-on knowledge building teams and programs as you take the reins to run our Centre.
How will you contribute? Our new Director will focus on:
Leadership. You will develop and implement a vision and strategic plan. You will:
- Communicate with key stakeholders to identify the changing needs of the programs and make recommendations on opportunities, trends, strategic issues and policy and program matters
- Develop organizational and administrative policies and program objectives for Board of Directors
- Attend monthly Board of Directors meetings
Administrative and Financial Management. You will be responsible for the overall operations of the Centre. You will:
- Develop, prepare and report on our annual operating budget for the Board of Directors
- Be accountable for internal control procedures, documentation and allocation of funds
- Ensure all legal requirements, policy guidelines and priorities are met
Program Management. You will oversee the development of programs and services. You will:
- Oversee, review and evaluate the results of program activities including allocation of resources
- Keep up to date on emerging trends and best practices in Early Childhood Education
- Evaluate programs regularly with the required Colleges and government bodies
- Act as a resource to staff in planning quality program plans to support each child’s physical, social, emotional, creative and cognitive development
Human Resources Management. You will act as Human Resources Lead for the Centre. You will:
- Work closely with the HR committee of the Board of Directors to determine staff positions, compensation and benefits
- Own the end-to-end recruitment, performance evaluation and professional development of all staff, ensuring all legally required hiring procedures and practices are met
- Manage the workplace environment and stay current with all required workplace practices
Risk Management. You will evaluate the risks of the Centre’s projects or strategies. You will:
- Monitor for operational risks and take appropriate actions per governmental guidelines
- Ensure all required health practices and procedures are developed and adhered to
- Ensure equipment repairs and site maintenance are completed
Public Relations and Fund Development. You will promote community awareness of the Centre’s mission as well as an inclusive, family-centered Centre environment. You will:
- Champion the vision and models the values of the organization, internally and externally, while fostering an environment of teamwork, excellence and shared success
- Encourage parent involvement in the Centre
- Represent and participate in all networking and community relations initiatives
- Identify and attend fundraising events and opportunities
Our new Director will have:
- The education. A Diploma in Early Childhood Education from an Ontario College of Applied Arts and Technology or a Ministry-approved academic equivalency. Plus:
- Deep understanding of the Child Care and Early Years Act of Ontario and the City of Toronto child care system and full awareness of the CCLS website
- Exposure to the Emergent Curriculum and Ontario’s Early Learning Framework (preferred)
- The experience. In addition to 3 years as an Assistant Director, you have a minimum of 5 years working directly with infants, toddlers and young children.
- The certification. A valid standard first aid certification including child cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Proof of a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check, including a vulnerable sector search.
- The business knowledge. Proven hands-on success managing a business, preferably in a not-for-profit environment, including strengths in:
- Operational management of a functionally diverse organization
- Financial management and administration
- The comfort with technology. You have experience using Microsoft Word and Excel. You can easily learn new software.
- The communication. Professional level oral, written and presentation capabilities including outstanding workshop development and delivery skills.
- The relationship building skills. Ability to nurture strong bonds with the internal team, the children in our care and their families.
If this sounds like a place that shares your values and passion and you would like to build your career with us, apply here.
ETVCC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.