Centennial College School of Community and Health Studies
Position Vacancy - Application deadline February 9, 2018
Classification: Part Time Support
Salary Range: PE201 $17.85 to $22.23.
Location: East York Early Childhood Centre
Hours per week: Up to 24 hours/week
Current Shift Schedule: Monday to Friday – 12:30pm – 5:30pm
Under the direction of the Supervisor/Manager and the ECE Leader, the incumbent undertakes all duties pertaining to the care and education of the children enrolled in the Early Childhood Laboratory Centre. The incumbent also models skills and provides feedback to the Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Assistant students to support their theoretical training. The incumbent develops and maintains a professional relationship with families demonstrating genuine appreciation and respect for diverse family systems and practices.
- Assists in the documentation, implementation and provision of developmentally appropriate curriculum, activities and experiences for children between 0 to 10 years of age, congruent with the department philosophy and governing legislation
- Provides behaviour guidance and assistance with the ongoing supervision of playroom, playground, group, individual and routine activities
- Assists to ensure the overall health and safety of children enrolled in the program by maintaining a sanitary and safe environment and identifying children who are unwell
- Facilitates indoor and outdoor activities for children according to the weekly program plan
- Assists with arranging children’s play space to reflect the philosophy of the curriculum
- Builds and maintains responsive relationships with individual and groups of children in care
- Assists in providing feedback to Early Childhood Education (ECE) and Early Childhood Assistant (ECA) students, by documenting student’s field placement progress and providing suggestions on how to achieve their goals
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with families by participating in a variety of informal communication with families (i.e. daily conversations, information sheets, etc.) and formal communication strategies (i.e. report cards, parent/teacher interview meetings, developmental portfolios, etc.)
- Maintains currency in the curriculum methodology used at the centre and in other areas related to the field of Early Childhood Development by participating in a variety of Professional development activities
- Collaborates with colleagues, sharing expertise and practical knowledge
- Participates in centre and program development meetings
- Two year Diploma in Early Childhood Education or equivalent
- Registered Early Childhood Educator
- Current First Aid Certificate
- Current Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation Certificate
- Recent Police Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills in a child care setting working with infants or toddlers and pre-school children from a diverse background
- Proven flexibility, cooperation and willingness to share ideas and knowledge to enhance team-building
- Successful candidates will be required to submit a criminal reference check and medical documentation as required by the Child Care and early Years Act
- Experience, knowledge and understanding of working effectively in a diverse environment
Send Resume to: NMDeSouza@centennialcollege.ca
"Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer."
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted online by February 9, 2018
Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We regret we cannot accept phone calls. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).